Oven temp: 425F / 220C / Gas Mark 7
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Rub in the butter or margarine with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
3. Gradually pour in the buttermilk, stirring with a fork to form a soft dough.
4. Roll out the dough until 1/2 inch thick. (I often make mine thicker and roll it into one large circle). Cut into wedges with a sharp knife.
5. Place on the baking sheet and bake until golden, 12-15 minutes.
One of the things I've been on a roll with over the holidays is baking. I do lots of cooking, but generally little baking. Oh-ten will contain more baking.
UPDATE: this is very much a savoury recipe -- mine ended up being a bit salty / soda-y because I wasn't very careful at measuring. The texture was very nice and flaky, not sure what adding sugar would do.